- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup wheat berries (farro), rinsed
- 6 cups water, lightly salted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 kale leaves, rinsed, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, strung and cut diagonally into thirds
Recipe by Nancy Vienneau.
- To prepare dressing, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil. When hot, add garlic and mustard seeds. Saute about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Place cider vinegar, sugar, salt, green onion and garlic mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse together, then process, drizzling in 1/3 cup canola oil through the food chute. Drizzle in sesame oil through chute and process until dressing emulsifies.
- To prepare salad, add wheat berries to a pot of boiling salted water and cook about 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale; sauté until wilted, 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt and red pepper flakes. Add carrots, and continue to cook another 5 to 7 minutes. Add yellow bell pepper and sugar snap peas. Cook until kale is tender and other vegetables are tender-crisp, another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Combine vegetables, wheat berries and dressing. Toss well.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: