- teaspoon Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 3/4 cups cold 2 percent lowfat milk, divided
- 3/4 cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large apple (any crisp, well-flavored variety except Granny Smith), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons eggs
- 2 teaspoons egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- teaspoon Vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Preheat the oven to 325F. Spray a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
Whisk together 3 cups milk and cornmeal. Pour into casserole dish. (The mixture will separate, but don't worry.) Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. Remove, whisk well, and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove; stir in molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and 3/4 cup milk. Whisk well. Stir in apple and dates. Bake 40 minutes.
Scoop out one ladleful of the pudding into a bowl and whisk in 1 cup milk. Add eggs and egg yolks and beat well. Pour back into the casserole while whisking lightly. Drizzle cream over top.
Return pudding to the oven. Bake until set, but still quite jiggly in the middle, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 1 hour, to room temperature. It will firm up as it cools.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: