- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 packets yeast
- 3 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/2 melted butter
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Oil for frying
- Add two cups of flour, shortening, eggs, salt, sugar, yeast and warm milk to bowl of mixer. Attach dough paddle and mix on low. Carefully add 2 more cups flour, mix until combined. Stop mixer, swap paddle attachment for kneading hook, add rest of flour and mix until just combined.
- Remove dough to a clean bowl, cover and let rest for 30-60 minutes.
- Place rested dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough until about 1-inch thick. Using large biscuit cutter, cut donuts as closely spaced together as possible; using smaller cutter, cut hole in the center of each donut. Carefully separate donuts and holes from rest of dough and let rest on a clean surface for 30-40 minutes.
- In another clean bowl, whisk together butter, vanilla, and evaporated milk. Then slowly whisk in powdered sugar until glaze is smooth and glossy. Set aside.
- In large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil to 350 F.
- Carefully slide rested donuts into hot oil one at a time. Flip them over after 45 seconds and fry on the other side for another 45 seconds. Remove browned donuts to cooling rack set over baking sheet. Continue until you’ve fried all the donuts and donut holes.
- Dip donuts and holes into glaze. Set back on rack and let glaze set, about 5 minutes.
about 18 donuts
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: