- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup California Raisins, (golden raisins, coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped salted mixed nuts (no peanuts)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons water
- Whisk flour and raisins together in a bowl, then using your fingers, separate any clumps of raisins.
- Beat butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add marmalade; beat until blended. Add egg yolk; beat until blended. Add half the flour mixture; mix well. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Add remaining flour mixture; mix well. Add nuts; stir until distributed evenly. Place bowl in freezer 15 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- After chilling, shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on pans 2-inches apart. Flatten balls to 1/4-inch thickness using the palm of your hand or the tines of a fork. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are golden. Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes on baking pans, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- To prepare icing, melt butter and cook over medium heat until browned. Pour butter into a small bowl and stir in marmalade. Add powdered sugar and 3 teaspoons water; beat with a spoon until smooth. Add remaining water if necessary in tiny amounts until you reach spreading consistency. Swirl about 1-teaspoonful icing over tops of cooled cookies.
*Notes: To prevent raisins from sticking together, the night before baking, refrigerate in a shallow dish in a single layer. Hand chop or process raisins to coarse consistency pulsing about 6 to 8 times in a food processor.
When flattening dough balls, if fork sticks to dough, spray the tines lightly with cooking spray.
Recipe by Barbara Estabrook
Videos You Might Also Like