- 1 medium fennel bulb, with stems and leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- -- Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
Trim fronds off fennel and cut off all but 3-inches of stalks. Peel bulb and cut with remaining stalks into irregular pieces.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel and onion; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned.
Add fennel seeds, eggplant and bell pepper; cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add zucchini and garlic; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine and salt. Cover and reduce heat; simmer until tomatoes just begin to break up, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in basil and black pepper. Top with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, if using.
Recipe by David Feder.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: