- 2 red or yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12- to 15-pound) turkey, brined, rinsed, patted dry and stuffed
- 1 cup Cranberry Butter
- 6 cups Classic Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place onions, carrots and celery and water in the bottom of a roasting pan. Set aside.
- Starting from the neck of the turkey, use your fingers to gently separate the skin from the breast, creating a pocket above each breast.
- Stuff 1/2 cup Cranberry Butter under the skin into the pockets and spread out evenly.
- If cooking the turkey with stuffing, add to turkey cavity.
- Pat skin dry with paper towels. Smear remaining 1/2 cup Cranberry Butter over the outside of the turkey.
- Use kitchen twine to tie turkey legs together. Tuck loose skin around the neck area under the turkey. Tuck wings under turkey as well. Place turkey in roasting pan on top of vegetables.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place turkey in oven to roast.
- Roast until a meat thermometer reads 160F at the thickest part of the thigh, about 3 to 3 1 1/2 hours. Baste with pan juices every half hour.
- Increase temperature to 425F and cook another 20 minutes for a crispy skin. Remove from oven. Lift turkey from pan and let rest on a cutting board about 20 to 30 minutes before carving. Make gravy.
—Recipe by Relish Cooking Show Chef Brian Morris
Videos You Might Also Like