- -- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned creamed corn
- 1 3/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar or Jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray two 8-inch square baking pans with cooking spray.
Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through black pepper) in a bowl.
Whisk eggs in a bowl. Whisk in milk and oil.
Pour egg mixture into cornmeal mixture; whisk using as few strokes as possible. (Batter will be thinner than the usual cornbread.) Stir in corn and half the cheese. Pour into prepared pans; top with remaining cheese. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Place foil over the top during the last 10 minutes of baking if the top is getting too brown. Remove from oven. Spread butter on top and sprinkle with salt, if using.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Videos You Might Also Like