- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups thinly sliced Vidalia or sweet onions (2 large onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 slices baguette
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyère cheese
—Recipe by Donna Shields
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until very soft and golden, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, stirring to coat thoroughly. Add broth, wine and thyme; cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Top baguette slices with cheese and broil until melted. Ladle soup into bowls and top with baguette slices.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: