- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups vanilla sugar, divided*
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia extract (available from King Arthur Flour)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 5 to 6 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 pints fresh blueberries, washed and drained
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 (9-inch) square baking pans.
- Cream together butter and 2 cups vanilla sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by sour cream and both extracts. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth. Do not overbeat.
- Whisk remaining cup of sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Spread half of the batter in pans. Add a layer of sliced peaches and blueberries. Sprinkle with about half of the cinnamon sugar. Repeat, using the rest of the batter and remaining fruit. Top with cinnamon sugar and pecan pieces.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
• Keep a canister of vanilla sugar (vanilla bean infusing white sugar) on hand to use in baking. If you don’t have this, you can use plain sugar instead. Makes 2 cakes. The recipe can be halved with fine results.
Videos You Might Also Like